Monday, April 23, 2007

Why International Relations?




When I was in high school, I naively thought I had my career life planned ahead. I thought I was definitely going to become a physicist or chemist. After all, I applied to attend a math and science academy high school where I took college prep courses on these subjects. Nonetheless, my junior year in high school I had the opportunity to take a college course on World Politics, and that class changed my perspective on what I would later decide to study in college. Through the course, I discovered that I enjoyed studying and writing about global issues more so than I did solving complex math and physics problems. I also found the world politics readings fascinating & felt the desire to learn more. Thus, from that moment I decided that I would major in a social science related field & not the hard sciences.
I am now an international relations major at USC, and I really love what I have chosen to major in. I hope to one day work for the department of state or an ngo in the areas of peace & conflict resolution or global gender issues.

No comments: